The primary goal of occupational therapy is to enable people to participate in the activities of everyday life. Occupational therapists use occupations (the activities that occupy our time) both as a therapeutic tool and a goal of therapy. The occupations that are typically targeted for children include their roles as daughter or son, brother or sister, student, player, or self-maintainer (feeding, dressing, toileting and hygiene activities), with occupational therapists assisting them to become more independent in these areas.
Occupational therapy assessment and treatment sessions are specifically designed to meet the needs of each individual child and family. At MoveAbout Therapy Services, occupational therapists will use a variety of philosophies and techniques which may include Sensory Processing Theory and DIR®/Floortime™ techniques. We pride ourselves on having one of the best equipped therapy spaces in Australia, incorporating a range of resources including 100 options for swinging as well as slides and a ball pit.
Occupational Therapy services at MoveAbout Therapy Services would benefit children with difficulties in the following areas:
- Attention and concentration difficulties including ADHD/ADD.
- Disorders of relating such as autism spectrum disorders.
- Functional difficulties (e.g. feeding, toileting, dressing, shoe tying, bike riding).
- Fine motor difficulties including limitations in motor planning, grasp and handwriting.
- Gross motor difficulties including limitations in motor planning, coordination and sports related activities.
- Sensory processing/sensory integration challenges including limitations in registering sensation, interpreting sensation, organising sensation, and being over-responsive or under-responsive to sensation.
- Visual processing/visual perceptual challenges.
- Learning disabilities.
- Regulatory disorders including children with difficulties in sensory, behavioural and emotional regulation.
- Issues related to behaviours seen as negative or inappropriate.
We use a range of Therapeutic Tools to support you and your child. For a list of the Therapeutic Tools we incorporate into our session and home-based programs click here.